Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Diaper Cake!

I had one of my best friend's baby shower this weekend, and I hate doing plain old shower gifts, so I decided to try my hand at a diaper cake. My coworkers made me one when I was pregnant and it was the best gift ever. I didn't get to take pictures as I was making it because, well, I have my own baby to take care of while making it :) Here's a step by step.

I used 60 size 2 Pampers Swaddlers Sensitive diapers. The great thing about the sensitive ones is they have a line that turns from yellow to blue/green when the baby pees so you know to change their diaper! It was a great tool for my husband (and me!) when our son was first born.

Step 1: Roll each diaper and secure with a rubber band.

Step 2: Cut out a cardboard cake platter and wrap it with wrapping paper and get a paper towel tube and tape to the center. NOTE: I did not do this because I didn't have a paper towel tube. I did cut out the base, but it's not pictured because I did it last minute.

Step 3: gather diapers and fill in and secure with a large rubber band. Do this for each tier. I made 3 tiers. Top tier was about 8-10 diapers, 2nd tier was about 20 diapers, and bottom tier was about 30 diapers.

Step 4: Wrap receiving blankets around each tier, then cut ribbon to tie around to secure.

Step 5: Fill in each tier with a variety of baby items. I used onsies, bibs, burp cloths, rattles, gowns, and I put a lovie on the top as the "topper"

Now, for the finished product! I will appologize for the quality, I took the picture on my phone.

1 comment:

Amber Petricca said...

amazing gift! I LOVED it!!